Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Reading and Writing

Truthfully, writing and reading have not been a dearly loved part of my life. I started writing and reading the most in middle school when I would receive assignments in my English and Literature subjects. I did not read much more than what was assigned because I didn’t enjoy reading. In my English classes over the years I have gotten many writing assignments, most I do not enjoy to write. In high school I have seen a big difference in my writing. My writing has improved during my three years in high school, and even though I don’t enjoy doing most papers I can say I am better now that I have had a writing class.
What I have written so far may lead you to believe I do not like any reading or writing, but that is not true. Within the last few years of my life I actually started to enjoy some reading, but I still do not enjoy reading huge books that do not have any thrill to them. I like books that have adventure or a gripping story that always keeps my mind going. I enjoyed many of the books I read junior year in class, and I really like The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time. I would read more if I found more books that could grip my attention, but in most cases I would rather watch a gripping action television show than read a book about the same thing. The things I do like to read are articles in magazines and newspapers. I love to read about current events and know what is going on around me in the world and my community. I think the reason I like newspapers over books is they give current information and it is usually in a short article that gets to the point. Magazines are the same in that they only have a couple of pages per article and the article is usually short and to the point.
Reading and writing are two main components of an English course; and maybe one of the reasons I do not enjoy both reading and writing is the fact that English is not a strong subject for me.

1 comment:

LCC said...

Ryan,
Like a lot of current events junkies, you would rather read a newspaper or magazine than a book. I know several people like that and suspect that your preferences will only change as you begin to discover things you want to know more about, information that can't be conveyed in a short article. Until that happens your book reading will consist mostly of things you are assigned, I'm guessing.

The exceptions will be things like the Curious Incident, books that present an unusual idea in an interesting way.

Thanks for an informative first entry.
LCC