Monday, May 12, 2008

The 12 night blog

I am now blogging on my final blog and I can say I am delighted. We have been reading Shakespeare for a semester and I can truly say I have expanded my knowledge. We just finished reading "Twelfth Night" in class and even though I did not like it as much as previous plays I thought it was interesting. The topic I want to talk about that relates to this play is not very big but it is important. The theme of a man or woman dressing up as the opposite sex and then being involved in an elaborate plot is a reoccuring theme in plays and popular movies.
Obviously in "She's the Man" this occurs because the movie is loosly based on the play. But what I am trying to say is the play does not seem to me to be one of Shakespeare's most interesting and unique plays. While reading it I felt I was just along for the ride and not truly involved in the plot. This may have been because I did not like the subject so much, but I am also very sceptical of the theme of the play.
I want to know how a woman, even though she is dressed like a man, can fool everyone and make them think she is a man for so long. I find it very hard to believe that even though Viola can pass as a man especially after she cowers when she is challenged to a duel and after she will not accept the love of a beautiful woman. I think it may look good for the play and be somewhat comedic but having Sebastian show up in the same clothes as Viola and to then have everyone think he is Viola is obsurd to me. I am just a sceptic but thats the way I think. This play is definately not my favorite but it was good to read it to be able to say I have read it and also now I am a little bit knowledgeable about the play.
I really dont like talking about this play because I did not like it as much as the others so I really dont have much to talk about for it. I cant think of any good positive topics and I dont want to talk negatively anymore so I am just going to end my blog even though it is short and I couldnt think of a good topic.
Maybe watching the movie will change my mind about the play, but from what I have see so far with the movie I would rank this play and movie combo at the lower end of all the Shakespeare plays I have read.

No comments: